This week, we're talking about motivation. How do you define motivation? What are the qualities of motivated people? And unmotivated people - how do they act?
When I think about motivation, I come up with more nouns: it's inspiration, it's drive. Motivation is my power, the force behind my actions. When I am motivated, I've got my "eyes on the prize," so to speak - compared to when I am not feeling motivated, and I tend to focus more on the present and think more about short-term rewards over long-term victories. I would consider myself a very motivated person, and not just in the weight loss arena. In all aspects of my life, I consider myself someone who is very goal-oriented and not afraid of hard work.
There are many sources of motivation for me in my journey, things that push me when I feel like throwing in the towel. Just to name a few:
- the excitement of meeting a weight loss goal.
- the rush of beating personal-best race records.
- the memories of how physically and emotionally challenging it was to be a super obese person.
- the strength I gain from reading inspirational quotes, books, and blog posts.
- the pride I feel from receiving positive reinforcement from family, friends, and the blog community.
- the feeling of hope I have for my future now that I have set myself on a path to save my life.
I think that's what I am proudest of gaining so far on this journey: I'm more confident in my abilities, I'm more willing to try things and less fearful of failing. I'm by no means perfect in these areas yet - I am still quite cautious and unsure - but compared to how I was back when I started, I've made terrific progress.
What about you? Who or what motivates you?